| This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas |
We are piloting Blueprint functionality as a method of updating content and points of assignments that are identical across multiple courses throughout the semester. We've found that if a locked assignment in the associated course is edited (either the due dates or availability dates) and the assignment is then deleted from the Blueprint course, the state of the assignment becomes permanently stuck in the associated course. There is no way to edit the content, points, or delete the assignment in the associated course because the parent object no longer exists.
When we contacted Instructure about this, they suggested the current behavior was put in place in an effort to eliminate the risk of an edited associated course assignment from being overwritten during a Blueprint sync. This makes sense, however, because the tie to the non-existent parent object is retained it causes downstream issues.
Ideally for our use case, when an assignment is deleted from the Blueprint course it would also be deleted from the associated courses after a sync. Alternatively, when the parent object is deleted, the tie should be removed all together and the assignment in the associated course should become unlocked with all editing / delete options enabled.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Create Blueprint course with the following settings:
* Locked objects by type > assignments > content and points
2. Add assignment to the Blueprint course
3. Lock assignment in Blueprint course and run sync
4. In the associated course, edit the due date of the locked assignment
5. In the Blueprint course, delete the assignment and sync to associated courses
6. Observe that the assignment is not deleted from the associated course - the assignment will be deleted from associated courses in which it was not edited.
7. Observe that the option to delete or edit the assignment from the associated course is unavailable because it is still seen as locked.
| Comments from Instructure|
For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-03-31) .